It being Friday, it seems a good time to add to the store of project management humor. The following is from William Duncan:
Top Ten Mistakes Made by a New PMO Manager (with tongue mostly in cheek):
- 10. Selling his/her house to be closer to the new job.
- 9. Buying stock in her/his new employer's company to demonstrate commitment.
- 8. Failing to understand that PMO stands for "Project Managers are Opposed."
- 7. Believing what was said about senior management commitment during the interview process.
- 6. Believing what was said about the skills of the PMO staff during the interview process.
- 5. Thinking: "how hard can it be to get this organization to support something that is clearly in its best interests."
- 4. Thinking: "how hard can it be to get the project managers to support something that is clearly in their best interests."
- 3. Planning to hire an outside organization to develop all new procedures.
- 2. Deciding that better project management training is all that's really needed.
And the Number One mistake ...
- 1. Taking the job.
Source: Posted by William Duncan, the Newgrange Mailing List.